Aylesbury Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aylesbury Football Club

The Moles

You are not connected. Please login or register

That merger question.....

+8
mrfish
groundhog
brownie
Lab
Thorny-D
Old Plumb
DB
Imp
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1That merger question..... Empty That merger question..... Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Imp

Look at the AUFC board. Over there, someone has suggested that Mark Eaton has proposed a merger between the 2 clubs. To be debated at a meeting on Tuesday apparently.

If this is true, is it a club proposal or Mark Eaton voicing his personal opinion?

2That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:59 pm

DB

DB

Laughing

3That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Old Plumb

Old Plumb

Hi all, what on earth can they bring to the table. They think its all about a name, as proved when they pulled out of the last attempt to merge when we trusted them to the extent of changing the name from Vale to F.C.. Twice bitten, thrice shy I would suggest, see ya down they, Bas.

4That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Imp

Well its certainly stirred things up over there...... Cool

5That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Thorny-D

Thorny-D

I think someone's having a giraffe.

Until such a meeting has been confirmed by a board member of Aylesbury FC, I'd take things with a rather large pinch of salt! Laughing

6That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Lab

AFCMan wrote:I think someone's having a giraffe.

Until such a meeting has been confirmed by a board member of Aylesbury FC, I'd take things with a rather large pinch of salt! Laughing

THat would be a bit naive of you. Meetings have already happeend in the background, Tuesdday's meeting is just for the AUFC Supporters Assoc to vote on whether to proceed with further discussions.

Ultimately though Martone will block anything as it's still HIS club Rolling Eyes

(So much for the good of football in Aylesbury and all that!)

7That merger question..... Empty re Merger Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

brownie

brownie

phantom wrote:
AFCMan wrote:I think someone's having a giraffe.

THat would be a bit naive of you. Meetings have already happeend in the background, Tuesdday's meeting is just for the AUFC Supporters Assoc to vote on whether to proceed with further discussions.

Ultimately though Martone will block anything as it's still HIS club Rolling Eyes

Mr Phantom,,,,please let me correct you if a vote was taken and the vote was yes for the merger,there would be nothing Mr Martone could do about it

8That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Thorny-D

Thorny-D

phantom wrote:

Okay, I apologise for my little faux pas, but I wasn't aware that it was just an AUFC meeting.
I haven't kept up with what goes on at United since about 1994 and, as far as I'm concerned, they shot themselves in the foot many, many years ago.
I agree, what happened there is a damn shame but it's in the past.

Aylesbury FC is the here and now and has solid foundations for the future, not to mention being the premier team in the town.
What has annoyed me most this season, is that AFC haven't had the recognition and credit that they deserved after doing the double last season and leapfrogging AUFC.
No team has been in a higher league than Aylesbury United for decades, which is a remarkable achievement but it has been met largely with apathy.
That's just my personal opinion though, and I felt like a rant,,lol.

But, back on topic, I can't personally see a merger happening but stranger things have happened.

9That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 pm

groundhog

I personally think a merger would be the wrong move for both clubs, but if it was the only option for both teams I think AFC Committee (and not just Mark Eaton, who is ONLY the Manager) ,would be willing to discuss sensibly all aspects of a merger with the whole committee of AUFC and their fan base . Unfortunately last time this was not discussed with all the AUFC committee and a lot of what was supposedly agreed or not agreed was not made available to all their members or fans, so a lot of mud slinging went on between the two clubs. Whatever is decided would only be temporary anyway as Haywood Way is not suitable for the level of football that both clubs want to acheive. AFC could only go one more level then would have to find a new ground anyway.

10That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:06 pm

mrfish

I thoucht, if two teams merged, you had to drop to level of the lower team? if that is correct ,do we want that? The only thing they AUFC could bring to the table is about 50/60 fans. Who would pay Reid his £30k back which he has lent AUFC,he would not want to lose that

11That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Thorny-D

Thorny-D

mrfish wrote:I thoucht, if two teams merged, you had to drop to level of the lower team? if that is correct ,do we want that? The only thing they AUFC could bring to the table is about 50/60 fans. Who would pay Reid his £30k back which he has lent AUFC,he would not want to lose that

The '50/60 fans' that AUFC get at home games are mostly made up of Leighton fans who get free admission.

12That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:19 am

Leon

Leon

mrfish wrote:I thoucht, if two teams merged, you had to drop to level of the lower team? if that is correct ,do we want that?

I don't believe that's the case Mr. Fish. To use two recent mergers as examples, I think that Hayes & Yeading United played at the higher level when they merged, and I'm absolutely certain that Solihull Moors did. Moor Green were Conference North, and Solihull Borough were a very ordinary Southern League Midlands Division side.

Presumably, had the merger gone through a couple of years ago, Aylesbury FC would have been playing in the Southern League last season?

13That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 am

DB

DB

Leon wrote:
Presumably, had the merger gone through a couple of years ago, Aylesbury FC would have been playing in the Southern League last season?
That's my take on it too Leon, & if there is to be a takeover you lucky old AU boys may just end up in the premier cheers

14That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:44 am

Leon

Leon

DB wrote:
Leon wrote:
That's my take on it too Leon, & if there is to be a takeover you lucky old AU boys may just end up in the premier cheers

Is that a deliberate wind-up or simply a Freudian slip DB? Either way Evil or Very Mad

Certainly wishful thinking re: the Premier to be fair!

15That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47 am

DB

DB

Are you saying that a takeover is more likely than promotion? Wink

16That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 am

Leon

Leon

Promotion is in fact much more likely in fairness. However, given a) your current form, b) your current league position, and c) Mr Eaton's previous record with AUFC at your level (ie bottling a playoff challenge every year), I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you! tongue

17That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 am

DB

DB

going back to topic then while your on , could you tell me what AU could possibly bring to a merger? and why it wouldnt be a takeover ? You have very little income & I think we all know that you are drinking in the last chance saloon unless someone with money comes in .Also do you know if a deposit is required by the league for next season?

18That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Leon

Leon

I don't want to get into an in depth discussion on mergers on here out of respect for Brownie's request in the other thread. However I will say that things at AUFC are not nearly as bad as you seem to think, indeed we are enjoying our best league campaign for some ten years. I would say the major thing we could bring is sheer volume of fans, I strongly believe a properly merged club (not a takeover), with some resemblance to the original AUFC whether that be colours or name (I like Aylesbury Vale United personally) would attract 400 through the gate on a regular basis. Regarding the deposit...I neither know nor care to be honest!

19That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:59 pm

mikefarquharson

mikefarquharson

Leon, agree I'd love to see a merger giving Aylesbury a stronger, better supported club. And I also agree that there are a lot of LAPSED fans that would come back to a team based in the town, the sum of two parts being stronger than the individual components!!!!

20That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:41 pm

mrfish

I to would love to see the 2 teams combined,but as DB says,what are they bringing to the table? ZILCH!In the case of a full merger the way I understand it, is that we would have to drop to AUFC level.In the report on Utds website it says the fans are encouraged by on going talks with the college over an all weather pitch.What has happened to the ground that they were going to move into at the college and what has happened to the 3G pitch that Mr Reid supposedly has ,DREAM ON!

21That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Leon

Leon

mrfish wrote:In the case of a full merger the way I understand it, is that we would have to drop to AUFC level.

Mr Fish, if you stopped posting your ill-informed (and at times libellous) nonsense for a moment and actually did some brief research, you could discover the following facts: -

Hayes & Yeading United: Merger of Hayes (Conference South) and Yeading (Conference South) in 2007. Played 07/08 season in Conference South.

Solihull Moors: Merger of Solihull Borough (Southern League Div One Midlands) and Moor Green (Conference North) in 2007. Played 07/08 season in Conference North.

Havant & Waterlooville: Merger of Havant Town (Southern League Southern Division) and Waterlooville (Southern League Southern Division) in 1998. Played 98/99 season in Southern League Southern Division.

Hinckley United: Merger of Hinckley Town (Southern League Midland Division) and Hinckley Athletic (Midland Alliance) in 1997. Played 97/98 season in Southern League Midland Division.

Rushden and Diamonds: Merger of Rushden Town (Southern League Midland Division) and Irthlingborough Diamonds (United Counties League) in 1992. Played 92/93 season in Southern League Midland Division.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Merger of Dagenham (Isthmian Premier Division) and Redbridge Forest (Conference) in 1992. Played 92/93 season in the Conference.

Barking & East Ham United: Merger of Barking (Isthmian Div 2, promoted to Div 1) and East Ham United (Essex Senior League) in 2001. Played 01/02 season in Isthmian Div 1.

That's seven (and there may be more) examples of mergers in the last 20 years. In EVERY SINGLE ONE of these cases the newly merged club has played at the higher level based on where the original clubs had previously. There is no evidence whatsoever to support your 'understanding' of the situation. Therefore, as is the case with many of the statements you make on this forum, you are WRONG.

22That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:39 am

mikefarquharson

mikefarquharson

Leon

I don't think suggesting that if we meger AFC would have to drop to AUFC level is libellous, however you may tell me I'm wrong on that and I am Libelling you :-) BUT all good news because when we merge (and we will) AFC can keep their current status - excellent!!!

by the way haven't seen you down Haywards Way for a while? next season perhaps.

23That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:42 am

DETD

Think he means the stuff about Reid [sic]and other things about debt where he claims to have inside knowledge.

Think we can all take whatever he says with a pinch of salt though, can't even spell READ's name correctly.

24That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:17 am

mikefarquharson

mikefarquharson

I don't doubt the Fishmeister, he knows plenty!!!! all will come out in the wash

25That merger question..... Empty Re: That merger question..... Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am

DB

DB

don't doubt the Fishmeister, he knows plenty!!!! all will come out in the wash

I agree with you Mike, is that a 1st Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum