Aylesbury Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Aylesbury Football Club

The Moles

You are not connected. Please login or register

A VIEW FROM THE TERRACE Hatfield

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A VIEW FROM THE TERRACE Hatfield Empty A VIEW FROM THE TERRACE Hatfield Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:12 pm

roka

roka

A VIEW FROM THE TERRACE

Aylesbury FC v Hatfield Town

I had to work this morning but got off in time for a pint before going to Haywood Way.
We were playing Hatfield who were only three points behind us in the league, so it should be a good game.
I hadn’t told the misses I was going, I had worked it out that it was easier to get forgiveness than it was to get permission. All I had to do was paint the house.
Silly Bob came across the road for a pint with me from work.
As we were about to go across the crossing the bleeper on the traffic lights started going.
Bob asked. “What’s that noise for?”
I explained that it signals to blind people when the light is red.
Bob looked at me appalled and said, “What on earth are blind people doing driving”
I didn’t know if he had made a joke or not, but he hadn’t. I also wondered if it was a good idea to go for a drink or just go straight to the ground.

Arthur the old boy well into his nineties and as deaf as a post was sitting at the bar nursing his glass.
“Want a drink Arthur,” I said
“No son, I can only have a half as it plays havoc with me lumbago.
“Oh ok” I said.
I bet it did, his lumbago must have been hell the amount of times he lifted his hand up and down with that glass.
“All right I’ll have a scotch,” he said.
“I’m off to Aylesbury today” I said shouting so he could hear me; we are playing Hatfield Town. I was sure I was safe with Hatfield; only kids being evacuated went there in the war.

Bob was reading the paper.
“I see they’re thinking of building an incinerator in Aylesbury, there has been a protest.”
“Don’t worry me none” said Arthur.
“You have to think of the future generations Arthur, we can’t just keep making rubbish.” I said.
“Still don’t worry me none, I’m going to be buried.”
I looked across at Bob for some help, but he was just nodding in agreement with Arthur.

“It got bombed in the war you know son”
“Who?
“Hatfield”
Bloody hell, I was so sure he wouldn’t have anything on Hatfield.
“What happened?” said Bob.
I glared at Bob and if I could have reached across I would have cheerfully strangled him.
“Hatfield had De Havilland and they built the Mosquito in the War and the Tiger Moth.
Nearly all UK-trained pilots first learned to fly on the Tiger Moth.
Before the start of the war Hatfield was home to the London Aeroplane Club and the RAF Flying Club. Later they moved it when it got too busy,”
I shook my head; my eyes were starting to glaze over.
Bob was enthralled and telling him to go on.
I had never wanted to kill someone so much.

“The first all-female air transport unit, was initially based at Hatfield
Amy Johnson, Britain's most famous female pilot, was on this unit at the time of her fatal last flight. The circumstances of her death remain shrouded in controversy to this day.”
“Didn’t the Starship Enterprise land there?” I said.
Both Arthur and Bob were trying to work that one out.
“I don’t know,” said Bob

Anyway I’m off, see you later.” I said and headed for the door.
They had just starting talking about Big Bertha as I closed the door and I bet it wasn’t a woman.

I arrived in good time to have a pint before the game and saw what’s his name with the big pockets; he wasn’t with his mate the chairman.
He hadn’t been around for a bit so I suppose he must have got short of money and popped down to take us mugs for what little we had.

The day was hot, and the ground was still in lovely condition.
I decided to move down the ground as the sun was hot and on the way passed big pockets what's his name and he was laughing with the secretary Ian, they were cooking something up.

Hatfield came out and looked a big side, and in contrast to them the referee looked like a schoolboy.
The match started with both teams equalling each other out. Hatfield were playing the ball on the ground and that suited our game.
For the first fifteen minutes the game was even with chances falling to both sides.
On 26 min, a good run by Mead led to a corner. The corner was not cleared properly and fell to Schmidt just inside the area and he put it into the top corner, 1 – 0.
As the half continued Aylesbury were gaining the upper hand and should have put the game to bed, but once again they could not find the finishing touch. Henney had numerous shots but could not find the Hatfield goal.
Aylesbury, I felt were not playing as well as they could and there seemed to be niggles creeping into the game.

The half time whistle came and I darted round to the clubhouse for a pint. It was one of those hard decisions again, tea or pint, no contest. I had read somewhere that tea gives you hallucinations, I must admit the bloke who wrote it had drunk 7 gallons, but I was taking no chances.

The second half started and Aylesbury were well in control and once again they should have scored, with Henney slipping over when all he had to do was put it in the net and shots going all around the goal and hitting the post, it looked like missed opportunities again.
Hatfield had a break on and found the back of the net, but a foul had been committed and the whistle had gone long before the goal.
Hatfield were starting to get a bit more physical now and their manager was getting more heated as the game went on.
Hatfield had the ball in the net again but it was ruled offside.
This was the last straw for their manager and the language was just wonderful. I learnt fourteen new words in five minutes.

With 62 min gone after nice play down the right the ball was whipped in and found Henney on the edge of the 6 yard box and for once he made no mistake and slotted it home to make 2 – 0

Aylesbury were playing some nice football now and Hatfield were only interested in spoiling the game with fouls. I must admit Aylesbury were lucky to finish with 11 men on the park as well.

Apart from a good save from Smith near the end, Aylesbury were far the stronger team and played some attractive football. They also kept the clean sheet that the defence deserved.

The final whistle blew and the crowd gave the team good applause, apart from Mr Grumpy who somehow had managed to be standing next to me when the final whistle went. He started complaining that they should have had at least another dozen and he didn't know why he was watching them and he wont be here again. "See you next time" I said, "Oh yeah,” he said “see you Tuesday, I am not going to miss that.”

I couldn’t stay for a drink, as I had to get home to start painting.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum